PDOgro™: What You Need to Know About the Newest Non-Invasive Treatment for Hair Loss
by Alan J Bauman MD ABHRS-Certified Hair Restoration Physician
There is good news for men and women suffering from thinning hair, a promising new procedure just made its way to the U.S. and is being used exclusively by Bauman Medical to stimulate hair regrowth. In addition to the positive results seen in clinical trial patients, PDOgro™ is painless, can be done on your lunch break and requires no recovery time – which will no doubt be a major draw for hair loss sufferers.
What is PDO?
PDO thread insertion procedure is an exciting, new, non-invasive treatment to stimulate hair regrowth. PDO (polydioxanone) is a commonly used slowly absorbing synthetic surgical suture material that stimulates new blood vessel formation, collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid production, as well as activates fibroblasts while it dissolves. These FDA-cleared PDO sutures have been used safely in surgery for decades and, in recent years, have shown promise in aesthetic medicine for non-surgical skin rejuvenation including tightening, lifting, and wrinkle reduction.
How does PDOgro™ work as a hair loss treatment?
Dr. Bauman’s unique application of the PDO threads, PDOgro™, is performed under painless local anesthesia by aseptically inserting PDO MasterThreads into the scalp in the thinning areas to stimulate hair regrowth by rejuvenating weakened follicles. This proprietary process is currently the only procedure in the U.S. using PDO threads for hair regrowth.
This painless “lunchtime” procedure works to stimulate hair regrowth through the release of growth factors and increased blood flow in the treatment area. The material slowly and safely dissolves over a period of months. The breakthrough outpatient non-surgical treatment requires no recovery, no downtime, no aftercare, and no activity restrictions.
HairCheck hair regrowth measurements are recommended every three months to track improvements in hair growth and to help determine when the next PDOgro™ thread treatment is indicated.
Who can it help?
PDO sutures have been used in various medical and surgical fields for decades, but the hair restoration field is just tapping into its potential as a hair loss treatment. Current research supports its use for stopping, slowing or reversing hair loss and promoting hair regrowth. Research has shown that PDOgro™ can be used as a stand-alone hair growth treatment or in conjunction with FDA-approved medications, low-level laser therapy, as well as other procedures including PRP, other cell therapy treatments and hair transplantation.
Despite cutting-edge breakthroughs in hair transplantation thanks to the advent of sophisticated FUE technology, many patients aren’t ready to take the plunge on a transplant or unable to make the financial investment, which makes therapies like PDOgro™, that can potentially reduce the need for a hair transplant so exciting for patients, physicians, and the entire hair restoration community.
Continued research and studies are being conducted, to help unlock PDOgro’s™ maximum potential for hair loss patients. Clinical trials are now underway at Bauman Medical to determine how long the hair growth improvements with PDO threads will last as a stand-alone treatment, as well as in conjunction with other treatments.
PDOgro™ joins an arsenal of effective, non-invasive treatments used to treat hair loss and promote hair growth, including:
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, or PRP: Also called, “the vampire,” PRP uses your own blood, which is naturally enhanced to boost the number of platelets and key growth factors. It is then re-injected into the scalp, where it revives dying follicles and regrows lost hair.
- Compounded Formula 82M: Aside from the generic minoxidil and brand-name Rogaine you find on the shelf at every pharmacy, a growing number of off-label customized compounded versions of the medication, like Formula 82M, can be obtained with a doctor’s prescription. These less greasy more powerful compounded versions offer dramatic improvements over the OTC brands.
- Compounded Finasteride: “FinPlus” is a specially formulated oral treatment to help men and postmenopausal women in the medical management of hair loss. This custom compound contains 25% more finasteride than the popular hair loss drug Propecia, along with a unique blend of herbs and nutrients to optimize healthy hair regrowth.
- Low-Level Laser Therapy: FDA cleared low-level lasers are a key weapon in the battle against thinning. These hair growth lasers are now available in laser-embedded ball caps, which offer a discreet, hands-free treatment to the scalp without side effects.
- Nutritionals & Nutraceuticals: Haircare also comes in pill form. Hair vitamins and supplements, like Viviscal Pro, Nutrafol and “SuperBiotin” can help your hair appear shinier, fuller and stronger.
The biggest takeaway should be that early intervention is the key to preventing and managing hair loss. Once you understand the cause of your hair loss, you need to determine the best way to stop losing more hair, enhance the hair you have and restore the hair you’ve lost. For most patients, this means using a combination, or ‘multi-therapy,’ approach: non-invasive treatments to protect the hair you have and hair transplantation to restore the hair you’ve lost. Some patients might accomplish their goals using only non-invasive treatments, like the treatments mentioned above.
If you or someone you know has hair loss, hair thinning, baldness, or eyebrow / eyelash concerns, click to start either a long-distance virtual consultation OR an in-person, in-office consultation with Dr. Bauman. You can also Ask Dr. Bauman a Question or simply call Bauman Medical Group toll-free 844-GET-HAIR or +1-561-394-0024.
*Each individual's treatment and/or results may vary