August 2, 2016
Boca Raton, Florida – It is estimated that men and women spend more than $3.5 billion a year in an attempt to treat their hair loss. But, much of the time, this money is wasted on treatments that either don’t work, or don’t work as well as they should. Unfortunately, many hair loss myths and misconceptions continue to make it harder for sufferers to get the right kind of help.
As August is National “Hair loss is now a treatable condition,” explained Dr. Alan J. Bauman, a board-certified hair restoration physician and new treatment pioneer. “Over the past several years, we’ve seen medical advancements that are improving the quality of hair restoration as well as helping patients test in advance for how at risk they might be, allowing us to begin proactive treatment regimens early, when they are most effective. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation on hair loss that still persists to this day. It’s important for patients to seek out qualified hair restoration specialists who can accurately diagnose the source of their hair loss and prescribe the right multi-therapy approach.”
Today, there are a number of highly effective medical treatments that can help patients with a wide range of hair loss conditions, from male- and female-pattern hair loss to temporary shedding, alopecia areata, traction alopecia and more. By visiting a board-certified hair restoration physician, a medical doctor who specializes in hair loss, both men and women can treat their hair loss and in many cases reverse it.
Here are the top treatments and tests recommended by Dr. Bauman:
- Hair Transplant Robotics: The first robot designed to perform part of the hair transplant recently became available. Called the ARTAS System, it’s an image-guided robot that harvests up to 1,000 hair grafts in a single hour – which has made hair transplant surgery more accurate, and efficient. [Bauman Tip: The critical step for natural looking results is the artistry of the surgeon operating the robot. Never choose a surgeon solely based on the technology they use.]
- NeoGraft FUE: Less invasive hair transplants allow for the transplantation of hair without the ‘telltale’ signs. The automated NeoGraft device helps the surgeon extract hair follicles from the donor area of the scalp individually without the need for scalpel or stitches, leaving no linear scar. Recovery is faster, more comfortable and less restrictive. Artistic hairline design and single-follicle transplantation techniques create hair transplant results that truly are undetectable. [Bauman Tip: Patients should always look for physicians who are board-certified in hair restoration, and recommended by the American 3D Printed Hair: For male or female hair loss patients suffering from severe or extensive hair loss, or those looking for an alternative to hair transplantation, “3D-Printed Hair” is the latest breakthrough in hair replacement. New non-surgical medical-grade hair and scalp prosthesis, like the CNC 3D Hair System, offers a customized, natural hair replacement option for a complete return to an active lifestyle, without compromise! The 3D printed hair system can be shampooed, dried and styled as your own hair. [Bauman Tip: With monthly maintenance and proper care, the prosthesis can last up to 4-5 years – which can save patients money over traditional wigs and hairpieces, which need to be replaced more often.]
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, or “the vampire”: PRP, known for powerful growth factors, can also help restore dwindling hair follicles. A growing number of doctors are now using modified blood, or PRP, for wound healing after hair transplants and as a stand-alone treatment for enhancing hair growth. PRP contains a high level of proteins and growth factors that stimulate the hair follicles, increase blood circulation and decrease inflammation at the follicle level. [Bauman Tip: The addition of ECMs or Extracellular Matrix can help strengthen the effectiveness of PRP.]
- Compounded Minoxidil: Aside from the generic and brand-name Rogaine you find on the shelf at every pharmacy, a growing number of off-label, customized, compounded versions of the medication, like Formula 82M, can be obtained with a doctor’s prescription. These compounded versions offer a dramatic improvement over the OTC brands. [Bauman Tip: Buyers Beware – Medical studies have found that the efficacy rate for the popular OTC minoxidil is just 38.3 percent!]
- Low Level Laser Therapy: In recent years, low-level laser therapy has become a key element of the multi-therapy hair restoration regimen. These FDA-cleared lasers are available in “combs” or brushes, laser-embedded ball caps, and large laser hoods, which look like salon hair dryers. [Bauman Tip: This side-effect free treatment can help revive dying hair follicles and stimulate healthy hair growth.]
- Nutritionals: Many hair loss patients benefit from the addition of nutritional supplementation in their treatment regimen. Hair vitamins and supplements, like Viviscal Pro and “SuperBiotin” are specially formulated to nourish thinning hair, while also creating a healthy environment for existing hair and hair follicles. [Bauman Tip: There are also a number of hair “super foods” which patients should consider. These include red meat, beans, berries, and nuts.]
- Genetic Testing: New genetic tests like those provided by HairDX can accurately determine a person’s risk for losing their hair, so they can begin preventive treatments early. [Bauman Tip: There are also genetic tests that can predict the efficacy of specific hair loss treatments, such as the HairDX Genetic Test for Finasteride.]
- HairCheck®: This highly sensitive hand-held ‘trichometer,’ measures hair caliber and hair density together, and expresses them as a single number known as the Hair Mass Index (HMI), or “Hair Number.” Doctors can use this number to accurately assess hair loss, growth and breakage on any area of the scalp, which can help them determine the extent of hair loss, as well as how a patient is responding to treatment. [Bauman Tip: HairCheck is an important tool for catching hair loss early on. Once hair loss becomes visible to the naked eye, up to 50% of the follicles have already been lost.]
- Scalp Makeovers: New “scalp makeovers” are available to treat various hair and scalp problems, including thinning and excessive shedding – it’s sort of like a high-tech facial for the scalp. Evaluations start with a detailed scientific “Trico-Test” and treatments range from sebum-regulating topical serums to scalp steaming and massage, moisturizing lotions and hair boosting dermal patches. [Bauman Tip: Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp. By addressing underlying problems with the scalp, you can often jumpstart healthy hair growth.]
For more information about the causes and treatments for hair loss, visit https://www.baumanmedical.com or call 1-877-BAUMAN-9 or 561-394-0024.
About Dr. Alan J. Bauman:
Alan J. Bauman, M.D. is the founder and chief medical officer of Bauman Medical Hair Transplant and Treatment Center in Boca Raton, FL. At more than 11,000 square feet, his clinic is the world’s largest stand-alone treatment center dedicated exclusively to hair loss. Dr. Bauman has been a full-time hair transplant surgeon since 1997, and has treated over 17,000 patients and performed over 7,000 hair transplant procedures.
Dr. Bauman is one of approximately 100 physicians worldwide to achieve board certification from the esteemed American and International Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS/IBHRS). He is a fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS), an accepted member of the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS), “recommended” by the American Dr. Bauman received his M.D. degree from New York Medical College and surgical residency training at Mt. Sinai Medical Center and Beth Israel Medical Center in New York.
Dr. Bauman has appeared in print, radio and television as a medical expert and successful early-adopter of the most advanced technologies in the treatment of hair loss. Appearances, interviews and profiles include the Today Show, The Early Show, Good Morning America, Extra, Access Hollywood and Dateline NBC among other TV appearances. Newspaper and Magazine articles and feature stories include The New York Times, Newsweek, Cosmo, Vogue, Allure, O – The Oprah Magazine and Men’s Health among others.
If you or someone you know has hair loss or eyebrow or eyelash concerns, click to start either a long-distance phone consultation OR an in-person, in-office consultation with Dr. Bauman. You can also Ask Dr. Bauman a Question or simply call Bauman Medical Group toll-free 844-GET-HAIR or +1-561-394-0024.